Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Finally Isaiah's story! robgirlbooks' review of Crash Into You (Pushing the Limits #3) by Katie McGarry!


5 STARS! I absolutely loved Pushing the Limits. Dare You To was fun and angsty, but Beth messed with Isaiah's feelings, trashed his heart, and lost a couple bonus points as a result. So you can imagine I've been dying to read this bad boy's story! Only when the cover came out I was shocked. That was not my Isaiah. I guess I missed the part where he was a white guy, but in my head, he was brown and beautiful. I didn't really have an ethnicity in mind, or I did. He looked like the car guy from Veronica Mars. Cars, punk attitude, tats, bad choices, see how I made the association?

I had nothing on Rachel other than her pretty image on the cover, but I was so happy to meet her. She puts on a perfect image because she thinks that's her job, more than that actually, she thinks she was born to act a certain way. Acting/lying for so many years will seriously mess you up and it's turned Rachel into one living, breathing panic attack. I have to take a deep breath just thinking about the storm of emotions that built in that tiny body until they exploded! I wanted to give her smiles and good words so she knew she was just right without the pretty hair, fancy gowns, and girly ways. She could be a car freak and grease monkey and be lovable.

Isaiah doesn't have panic attacks, but he does have a monologue that runs through his head any time he takes a chance in life. It goes something like this, "You don't deserve happiness you piece of shit." I wanted to hug him, but he's not really a hugger. I hated Beth's lingering effect on him, but the way Rachel came into his life and started opening his eyes and his heart made me so happy!

My favorite aspect to this story was the developing romance. Even though the attraction hit pretty quickly, there was so much muck blocking the path to a healthy relationship that I loved the back and forth. I loved the first kiss. Talk about chemistry! I will say that this book had a cast of characters that seriously pissed me off and they weren't even the creeps making Isaiah and Rachel's lives hell. Rachel's brothers and her parents had me growling. Actual growling, people. I'm not sure any book has had me so pissed at side characters before. And the next book stars one of her brothers. I'm totally going to read it because I'm addicted to Katie McGarry, but he's an ass.

There you have it folks. If you haven't started the Pushing the Limits series and you're a fan of YA or NA contemporary romance and wonderful writing and engrossing characters, get reading.

10 comments:

  1. I haven't read this series, but I loved your intro and how you had pictured the characters instead of what they had put on the covers. McGarry sounds like a great writer :) Great review Robyn!

    Chanzie @ Mean Who You Are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The covers rarely look like the people I've built up in my head. Does that happen to you? I hope you get a chance to check out this series. McGarry is a wonderful storyteller and her characters pull you in for the long haul.

      Hey, thanks for the boost with your quotes and inspirational posts! Happy Friday, Chanzie!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this series either, but I love the way you talk about these books. I can feel your enthusiasm and you make me wanna go grab a copy! Isaiah sounds like a great character.
    Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot of angst, drama, and romance but it makes for good reading. If you ever find yourself looking for a great mature YA contemporary romance, check out Pushing the Limits. There's a shrink in the first book I wished had her own dang series. I think it would so awesome!

      How are you handling zombie free Sundays? Did you know I got hooked on The Walking Dead?

      Delete
    2. Sorry it took me this long to answer, but it's been crazy days. I miss my Walking Dead Sundays and honestly, I wanted more as finale! How about you?

      Yes, I know you got hooked and I am amazed!:) This is a good start. hehe How about Jo Nesbo books next? :)

      Delete
    3. I'm gearing up for a mystery bender. I can feel it coming on and then I will dive into Nesbo for sure!

      Delete
  3. That's some great writing if Ms. McGarry had you growling, Robyn. I haven't gotten to this book yet but I love this series. I look forward to seeing Isaiah getting his HEA?!? I sure hope so...he so deserves some good stuff in his life. And Rachel seems like maybe she's the good stuff. Awesome review, chicky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was totally growling, Brandee. I love McGarry's writing. I wish she'd dedicated a story to the shrink in the first book. Maybe, a novella? Isaiah deserves good stuff and Rachel is a subtle character who builds and builds through the story, almost like Ash from Taut, but not as mysterious as Ash. I hope the boards are clearing for you and you'll be a carefree reader real soon...

      Delete
  4. Katie McGarry is made of awesome! And your review makes me even more excited for her soon-to-be released new book :)

    I hope you're having a fantastic week, my dear.

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she?! Katie McGarry knows how to create characters for sure. I'm so excited to read Take Me On. I'm still pissed at the brothers, but that just means I'll be wooed all the more. The week is flying by, busy busy busy! I hope yours is fantastic too!

      Delete