Thursday, December 18, 2014

When You Can't Walk Away

Years ago on a river rafting trip, I was standing next to a raging ice box dressed in a wet suit arguing, yes arguing, with a good friend of mine. I was an art student then and completely submerged in the world of creating art. Everything I experienced traveled an imagined canvas wonderland. People who knew me, knew this. For whatever reason I blurted out, "If I went blind I'd quit art." This sent my friend Myron into a total fit. "You can't quit art!" "If I'm blind, I'm totally quitting. Of course I am." "No, you can still paint." "How? No, I'll quit." We went back and forth. He argued with all his heart that an artist is an artist and you can't walk away from that no matter what. I argued that I wouldn't be able to see shit. Our other good friend Christine tried so hard to play a part in the argument, but she was too busy laughing her ass off. Remember, we were wearing wet suits. Everyone else on the trip was getting excited to climb into boats and we were fighting over my hypothetical blindness.

I think there are some things you can't quit no matter what. As much as I loved painting and drawing, I walked away. I'll return one day, but I don't hurt all the way through because I'm not working a new composition and daydreaming about colors. Okay, so I still do both of those things in my head, but creating stories, that I don't want to play any hypothetical games with. I make no money at this gig. I'm terrible at managing . . . every freaking thing, But I'll figure it out. I have to because I have to. That's what Myron thought painting was to me. And now I see he was right.

For December and on, I'm reading and writing (and holiday treat eating). I'm thinking of you all that are close to my heart and wishing I had more time in the day. I miss chatting and visiting blogs. And I'll be back to do those things. I wish you all a safe and happy holiday season. If you need me, I'm still here. Drop an email.

8 comments:

  1. I happen to be very grateful that you found a passion for painting pictures with words. And I think it's something you can do even if you do happen to go blind. ;) Happy reading, writing, and holiday treat eating, Robyn!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the treating eating was awesome. And I've quit too soon. The house is still filled with them. You're right that I might be able to write stories better than paint a picture if I'm blind. There was a time when the doctors watched me for that eye condition where you lose your sight one chunk at a time and then go blind.

      Happy reading, writing, and holiday treating eating to you too! Is your house filled with them too or did you manage to give them all away?

      Delete
  2. Painting pictures with words! How true. And you do paint some great pictures, Robyn!

    Happy holiday season to you too. I look forward for more of your wonderful posts and thoughts.

    Cheers to holiday treat eating, writing and reading!
    Happy swimming!;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Athina! Happy holiday season to you too! We both struggle to balance the world of reality with the world we want to create. I look forward to more of your posts. I hope to make the rounds more often because I'm missing some good stuff.

      Cheers to writing, reading, and living, Athina!

      Happy flying!

      Delete
  3. That's a beautiful way to explain what writing is for you, Robyn! I hope you are having a wonderful, peaceful Christmas with your family!
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't peaceful here, but there are a lot of hugs and laughs going on between the sibling bickering and my growling. Oh, did I tell you that I read Mrs. Miracle after your review of it? It really helped get me in the holiday spirit.

      Happy New Year, Lexxie! I hope 2015 is filled with more wonderful travels and great stories!

      Delete
  4. Happy Holidays Robyn. I hope to see you soon and keep in doing what you love most. Both of us will be back painting visuals soon, we're just creating storylines at the moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ki! How are you? Have your characters been stalking you? I forget what your focus was in art. Was it painting too? We'll get back to the 2-D world one of these days.

      Happy New Year! I hope the cold isn't getting to you.

      Delete