Sunday, January 4, 2015

Author talks, they really do reach new readers. Honest.

Take a break to talk 9.11.11
I love author talks, can't get enough of them (not that I have a fangirling problem or anything). It all started with Debbie Macomber sharing her story at my library. I had seen her books at the grocery store, but never snatched one off the shelf to read the blurb. When she walked up to the podium and smiled, I instantly thought of my Aunt Sherry and became a fan. She said something along the lines of 'If you write a book, others should read it.' So far I've read Starry Night and Mrs. Miracle. Loved them!

Then I went to a couple writers' conferences. Ann Aguirre and Victoria Dahl are so cool. That's what I thought when I listened to them. Aguirre made me laugh and dream. She also wore a plush unicorn hat on her head during her speech. Dahl made me laugh and cry. She told us she belonged to a secret writers' group, but if she revealed any of the members she'd have to wear a penis hat for an entire day. Ann Aguirre nodded enthusiastically to this (I'm thinking she's one of the secret members). Their books rock the planet. Total fan here. 

A couple months ago I went to listen to mystery writer J.A. Jance talk. I hadn't even heard of her. She has this laugh, this crazy laugh that bursts out of her. I jumped in my seat the first time I heard it. Her author talk made me laugh (because of her laugh) and cry. What is up with these authors cracking my super tough exterior? A coworker of mine loaned me one of her books. Loved it! I told my mom and we just did a buddy read of Edge of Evil. I confess I read it in a couple days. I tried to pace myself, but Jance has an easy writing style and a great main character in Ali Lawson.

Do you have a list of authors you would love hear talk? Here are few on my list. Craig Johnson, Katie McGarry, Patricia Briggs, Kim Harrison, Kristen Ashley, Richelle Mead, Nalini Singh....

How about all you authors and future authors out there, can you see yourself giving an author talk? I can totally see myself standing up at a podium cursing at the microphone/sound system and having a great time.

"By Victorvoice (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons"


12 comments:

  1. This is great, Robyn. I've never gone to such a talk since most of the authors I love don't live in this country. But if I could, I would love to hear Jennifer L. Armentrout, Jo Nesbo, Richelle Mead, George R. R Martin and of course, Gillian Flynn!

    As for your question, I can't imagine myself talk. I'm too shy, but I bet that after getting used to it, I could not shut up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd go to all of those author talks for sure! I can just see you rubbing your hands together in your seat so excited to hear one of these great writers talk. I hope you get to go to one. Maybe when you visit your family in France you can see if there are any author events a reasonable distance away. It doesn't matter if they don't write in your genre. That's what I discovered.

      I always wished I was shy, but in the end I think we'd both be hard to contain if they let us loose on the topic of writing stories.

      How is the dark story going?

      Delete
  2. I have never been to an author event, but I would absolutely love it. I'm with you on Patricia Briggs, Kim Harrison, and Richelle Mead...I would have to add Ilona Andrews, Marissa Meyer, and Jennifer L. Armentrout. I'm sure there are more but that's the top list right now!! If you ever got up at the podium, I would just adore getting to see it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I didn't mention Ilona Andrews. What kind of fan am I? Did I not just try to read every single Kate Daniels novella out there? Sheesh.

      I'm just now reading Cinder. I wanted to wait for the whole series. I am loving Cinder. Iko is hilarious.

      I'll make sure if I do an author talk to make it a podcast. Better yet, while I'm dreaming here, I should make it a tour and make Texas one of the stops. Yeah!

      Delete
    2. Cinder was such a great read to me. I think the series just gets better and better with each book. Absolutely!! I'm closest to Dallas ;)

      Delete
  3. I sure wish there was some way you could come to Dallas in May for RT, Robyn. You'd be able to hit all those authors on your wishlist. Even Ilona. Okay, maybe not Patricia Briggs. I don't think she travels that far. But still. AND I could spend a weekend with you! I'm going. I told you that, right? I'm rooming with LEXXIE!!

    Okay, so the first author I ever heard talk...Richelle Mead. She's fantastic!! She read to us and she discussed VA with us. Then she told us a little about the spinoff she was planning...Bloodlines! And then she answered our questions. I even had my picture taken with her. I was already a fan and I fawned over her. But I will forever and always remember that event.

    I'm so glad that you've had the opportunity to meet and listen to authors - even ones you'd never heard of or read. It's great that you draw inspiration from them. And some day, you'l be on the opposite side...providing those laughs, tears, and inspiration to other writers and readers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Lexxie are going to have so much fun. I'll make it there one year, BUT I am going to hear Richelle Mead in Feb and Briggs in March. After I wrote this post, I realized I'm crazy for not seeing them in person since they're both NW authors!

      I confess that I actually didn't meet any of them. Do you remember me standing behind you at the author event this summer? I'm good sitting in my seat and listening and then slipping out. I'm not even a shy person!

      Delete
  4. I have seen Diana Gabaldon give a talk once, and she was so sweet, and really took her time afterwards to chat with fans, and let us all take a photo with her!
    Brandee, is Nalini Singh coming to RT?!? If she is, I think I'm going to faint!
    I am really looking forward to RT, Robyn, but I think I'm actually more excited about meeting Brandee than I am about meeting those amazing authors I know will be there :D
    Have a terrific Thursday!
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lex, Nalini isn't scheduled to be at RT as of right now. Let's cross our fingers that she shows up! ;) I'm counting the days, my friend...counting the days til we meet!

      Delete
  5. This is timely since I just posted by summer 2015 tour dates on my blog: http://www.fromtheshadows.info/2015/01/2015-appearances-magnolias-mausoleums.html
    I'll be at Magnolias and Mausleums, and Author Reader Con, in New Orleans this July. I hope to see you there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Ann Aguirre!! (HORDE WAS SO EPIC OMG. I'm so jealous you got to meet her!) I haven't seen any of her author talks (yet ^-^), but hopefully there are a few on Youtube! I've got to see this ;)

    I don't think I would ever give an author talk because I'm not a particularly witty person (I envy those people who can come up with one liners in a snap), and everyone would probably be snoring by the end.LOL xD

    I would love to see you give an author talk!! :D (Would this be possible in the near future? :) )

    Hope you have been well! Have a wonderful weekend ^-^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love Ann Aguirre. I've only read one book so far, but Enclave is on the list. Have you read any of her NA stuff? I have the first book.

      I'm a total ham so I would have a blast doing an author talk. I do embarrass the heck out of myself, but that's okay. You would not be boring. You love books and characters and love stories too much.

      There is no talk in the near future, but one day when I get the author formula right, a big fat tour would be so much fun. And hitting the cities of my blogger friends sounds like a super plan.

      I hope you've been well too! I hope you're handling the crazy weather.

      Delete