Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Sidekick Showcase [33] Creatures of the Night-Demons are not toys!

To celebrate spooktacular October, the theme for the entire month is CREATURES OF THE NIGHT! Since I'm reading Every Which Way But Dead by Kim Harrison, I'm choosing Algaliarept, or as Rachel likes to call him, Al, the super scary demon who once turned into a vamp and ripped out her throat. Al's hobbies include scaring people to death, murdering people in the most terrifying ways, and making people wish they were dead. Every single time Rachel deals with Al, I go on solo rants in my living room. "Rach, stop summoning the demon. Bad Rachel. No. Don't listen to Nick. He's a freaking idiot. Demons are bad." You get the gist. I'm thirty pages into the third installment and I have no idea how my favorite witch is going to make it out with her soul in tact. She's already in so much trouble and Al is at the heart of it. 

Algaliarept varied its shape, sifting through my mind without me even knowing to choose what scared me the most. Once it had been Ivy. Then Kisten —until I had pinned him in an elevator in a foolish moment of vampire-induced passion. It's hard to be scared of someone after you've French-kissed him.”
Kim Harrison, Every Which Way But Dead

Sidekick Showcase, previously known as Sidekick Saturday, is a weekly bookish meme, hosted here by Jaclyn at JC's Book Haven. There are many secondary characters that are as great as the primaries. In some cases, the sidekicks actually steal the show and you like them better than the heroine or hero. Maybe they didn't have enough page time for how great they were. Anyone can play along! I will post my Sidekicks on Saturday, then whichever day during the week that you would like to post yours, you can put your link in on my page. Just do the following:
• Choose a sidekick *or someone other than the hero or heroine* that you would like to put in the spotlight that fit's in the week's topic
• Share a picture (if you can) and information about the character
• Give the title and author of a book the character can be found in
• Please don't include too many spoilers when describing why the character is such a great sidekick
• The day of your post, put your link in below and grab the code for your post so you can see the others that post their's throughout the week as well

4 comments:

  1. I actually love Al! He's a great character. But I agree about Nick. He's really shit-for-brains :) Great choice Robyn!

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love Al too, but he scares me. Rachel just enraged him so much I held my breath through that part. Great description for Nick. I can't wait to get to know the characters more.

      Delete
  2. LOL I have to say Al is one of my fav characters. I love your list of his hobbies! I completely agree with you (and Lexxie) about Nick...can't stand that turd! Oh, and I love that you go on solo rants at Rachel...she's made me develop the habit of yelling at her while reading as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been characters that had me shaking my head or rolling my eyes, but Rachel brings out the mom in me. I'm waiting for more Al in Every Which Way, but so far he's just been in the beginning. He's one of the few characters that freak me out that I still really like.

      Delete