Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Think Out Loud [5] I have lipstick and I'm gonna use it!

Okay, so my mom has been on a mission since my divorce...a spruce up Robyn do or die sort of thing. It started with my winter coat, a blue tired zip up number. "You just look so cold in it," she'd say after telling me, "You have to get a new coat!" I'd look down, run my hands over the soft material, "It's not cold because there's enough room for me to wear two shirts and a sweater underneath." She'd laugh, stop laughing, then shake her head. I've had the coat since my oldest was 4. He's eleven now. This Christmas while we were already at the mall for something else, she gave me honest to goodness puppy dog eyes. "Mom, while we're here, why not stop in Sears and see the sales?" She bounced all the way to the store. I saw the coat I wanted in less than a minute. Tried it on. Fell in love. I'm sure she expected the whole mom/daughter shopping experience, but I do not like indecision.

Part two, which occurred in the same timeline with the coat, was operation "get rid of those damn glasses." So I had my glasses longer than my coat. They were pretty. I liked them. My mom shook her head and told me, "No way are you wearing those things another year!" New glasses...check! Christmas stocking-new lipstick (only lipstick). Makeup...check!

Now I'm armed with glasses I'm still not sure about, a coat that's awesome, but not a two T-shirt/sweater combination type of coat, and girly lipstick. Thing is, I'm still me. I'm past the stink eye part of post-divorce life; if a guy smiles at me, I don't immediately want to kick him. Progress. But I am no where near the flirting stage. I'm barely in the smiling back stage. I have a feeling my mom is growing restless and something new will be added to the list. Dresses? Shit.

Join Think's awesome meme. Share a thought twirling around in your head, a gripe you mull over while driving your kids to school, a quote that made you laugh or cry. Share anything. We'd love to have you join us.

12 comments:

  1. This was a fantastic post Robyn! I haven't dated since 2009 and my mom has finally just given up. lol. I would rather be happy alone then mess that up by dragging in someone else that may or may not give a damn.
    Just my opinion though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss having crushes. In college I had a crush in each class. But you're right, I want to find that alone happiness...then I want to find all the other types of happiness too!

      Delete
  2. Love it, Robyn! Those well-meaning mothers. LOL Why can't we just be, right?!? I'm sure I'll drive my daughters just as crazy...some day! ;) Thanks for sharing this. I needed a giggle. I've spent my entire day hemming and it's definitely NOT a talent of mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hemming is NOT a talent of mine either! There would be little dots of my blood all over the place and echoes of my cussing. My mom was right about the coat. My four year old tells me all the time how pretty it is. Hopefully her next project will be setting me up with someone because she's good at that. It was love at first sight when she introduced me to my future high school boyfriend.

      Delete
  3. Small steps, you'll get there. I'm sure she's just trying to help. I should say that to myself lol, my grandma and my aunts, well one of them, are always telling me to dress more girly, and wear dresses and skirts and cute shoes and blouses. I used to get mad, now I just nod. I know they're trying to help, but I feel bad when they keep telling me that, every single time, like it's not enough just being me, okay maybe being me is not the best way for a comeback lol.
    About the glasses, once I find one I like, I don't want to change them because the others just never look right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll get there. Thanks, Rivie! It sure doesn't feel that way sometimes. My mom is my biggest supporter, I'm just so damn frugal that I will not buy anything for myself. I pulled out all my favorite skirts last summer, then went out and bought an iron because I left that behind in the divorce, but I never wore them. This summer I'm going to. I'll take a picture and do another Think post about it. hehe. I hate getting new glasses! But it was a fun shopping date that day.

      Delete
  4. Awww - what a great mom you have! Maybe she should be a consultant on one of those makeover shows. :)

    It sounds like while you initially made little changes to appease your mother, you've eventually grown into them. That's great because ultimately, of course, we need these changes to benefit ourselves! I've found little changes on the outside can have a dramatic effect on the inside. I'm currently going in the opposite direction, unfortunately, but I'll try to keep this post in mind. :)

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom read vampire books for me. She's that cool. You're right, the glasses switchup was for her, the coat for both of us, and then I asked for the lipstick. Little changes.

      Delete
  5. OMG John Green yyyyyyeeeeesss. I'd love to meet him. Do you watch vlogbrothers? Him and his brother are pretty hilarious.

    Great picks!
    Old follower :)
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just heard about vlogbrothers from Snuggles at Rainbows and Books.. After seeing one clip, I'm hooked. Thanks fro stopping by!

      Delete
  6. :-) Love it. Funny how mother's can be so pushy sometimes ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I come from a long line of pushy women. If any of them got the chance, I'd be completely overhauled!

      Delete