Monday, December 9, 2013

I'm all starry over Debbie Macomber's Starry Night!

A few months ago I attended a book signing for Debbie Macomber. Did you all know her last name is pronounced Maycumber? When she told us I almost corrected her. I had never read one of her books, but from the moment she spoke I was a die hard fan. She is just one of those people with that kind of magic. I knew her books would possess the same magic. And I was right!

Starry Night is a lovely holiday romance about a with-it career woman on a mission to prove herself and an untrusting recluse on a mission to maintain his life of easy contentment. Carrie Slayton works the society page for the Chicago Herald. Not a shabby living, but she wants to report real stories. She's given one chance to make that happen: Find elusive new author Finn Duncan and interview him. Finn wrote an adventure book the world sunk their teeth into and fell in love with. Now everyone wants to to know him. He wants his Alaskan wilderness forever free of snoopy reporters. So it's just a wonderful day when Carrie shows up half-frozen with no place to go but inside his cabin.

I loved the banter between the two. I loved the wide range of family dynamics and the fact that everyone in the story was good all the way through. There is no bad guy, unless you personify pains of the past. I loved the Alaskan setting, oh that starry night! The romance build is slow and sweet, but full of so much dang anticipation. The writing is smooth like butter. Nothing fancy full of paragraphs of flowery descriptions. It flowed so well I read the book too fast! I absolutely loved every moment I spent in Finn and Carrie's story. I'm on my second Debbie Macomber book right now. She's magic I tell you.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so happy that you found a book to fall in love with! It sounds like a really great read. Banter between two leads that aren't getting along is like catnip to me. Great review! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catnip is a great word! Starry Night really hit the spot and I just love it when a book does that. One of the cool things I forgot to mention in the review is that she's a Washingtonian, so she mentions places I know!

      Delete
  2. I had no idea that's how her last name was pronounced. My husband's grandma always pronounced it like that, but I thought she was wrong, lol. I really like the cover of the book - it makes me want to snuggle up with a soft blanket, hot cocoa, and a good book. :D And I love banter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I still say her name wrong and then I correct myself. It's crazy! I love the cover too! This is the first time I've ever picked up a book with a cozy cover like this one. Paid off big time! Except I forgot the hot cocoa. I'm an amateur.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for letting me know I've been mispronouncing her last name for...oh, 4 years or so! LOL I will make sure to correct myself from this point forward. :)

    I'm so excited you adored this story, Robyn! I love a slow build romance - especially with great banter! I don't generally read many holiday-themed books, but since I was gonna give Ms. Maycumber a try, this one sounds like the one to start with.

    **BIG HUGS**

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first year I've ever gone for holiday reads or for something with a Thomas Kincade type cover. We all live for the banter. Makes sense since we're such cool chicks. hehe

      This is a great Debbie Maycumber book to start with.

      Big hugs right back!!

      Delete