Friday, December 20, 2013

It's Christmas break, so here are a few robgirlbooks movie raves!

Here a few movies I watched recently and totally loved!


Frozen!! Oh my goodness, talk about awesome and not completely girly either. This is not a Disney Princess movie even though there is a princess in it. The story is fresh, the twists and turns unexpected, the dialogue current and funny! And the songs rocked. I took my five year old to see it during parent-teacher conferences. We were the only two people in the theater! It was the coolest movie date ever. We talked at a normal volume. We acted out our favorite scenes. John was free to be squirly and bouncy. I only stopped him from ball busting acrobatic maneuvers (for his own good). If you are a fan of animation at all, go watch it! Take the family or make it a date. Whatever. It rocks! And there's romance, funny romance! 

Okay, enough of that. Time to gush about the next movie.


The Croods...Another animation movie, currently on DVD, and surprisingly funny. I wasn't sure because the animation looked odd to me, the premise questionable, and my attention span nil. I watched it with my 5 year old on my computer. A couple times I caught myself leaning in because I was so into the movie! There were moments that felt like I was watching Everybody Loves Raymond meets Journey to the Center of the Earth, but the man/woman stereotypes were easy to overlook because I was wrong about the animation. It was breathtaking. The version of the earth so long ago with the different animals and plant life was amazing! The story was great too with the message to be fearless in life. Rent this one if you get the chance.


Grown up time...The Heat was so damn funny. I laughed until I cried. If you're squeamish about swearing (sorry because I already cussed), this is not the movie for you. There is so much swearing, but I'll tell you it's part of the story. Every single f-bomb combo was necessary. I promise. The physical comedy rocked. I'm a sucker for funny, but this movie also had these two wonderfully talented women who were able to bring true emotion and depth to their characters. This is not a remake or extension of Miss Congeniality. Nope. It's plain awesomeness with chicks who carry badges and guns and have a touch of crazy in them. Watch it, love it, go on now.


Here's one out of the stacks...Hotel Transylvania has been out on DVD for a while now, but I just watched it for the first time. This is a monster musical mash type movie with humor, scary undead things, and rapping. Yep, Dracula raps. I loved the story too. Dracula wants to keep his daughter safe from the big bad scary world of terrifying dangerous humans so he does everything he can to keep her in the land of monsters and then one day an adventurous human shows up. Disaster! Mayhem! And Fun! Check this one out too!


Okay, I know I just listed mainly animated movies, but it's the holidays and we all turn into kids at this time of year, right? 



8 comments:

  1. I haven't seen ANY of these, Robyn! We watch a holiday movie every night leading up to Christmas (did I tell you that?)...we watch A Nightmare Before Christmas, Home Alone, Polar Express, The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, The Santa Clause...James and I watch A Christmas Vacation...we added Rise of the Guardians for this year. But we'll have to check out some of these! Hope you have a festive weekend on tap, Robyn!! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your holiday movie tradition! That is so awesome. You have a few of my favorites on your list. Home Alone (still makes me laugh until I cry), The Santa Clause (now the boys love it too), and Rise of the Guardians (I am, I mean Will is getting this for Christmas). We're watching Polar Express when the boys get back from their dad's today. Crazy thing, but I never saw it or A Nightmare Before Christmas. I have to confess I have a few alien type apocalyptic invasion movies to watch while I wrap presents. No Santas in sight. hehe

      Delete
  2. I am SOOOOO jealous! I want to see Frozen so badly I can hardly stand it! The Hobbit and Thor 2. Tangled is one of my favorite animated movies and Frozen looks like it has the magic mix of what made Tangled wonderful. Hopefully I'll get to see it sometime this week. Hotel Transylvania was so much fun too wasn't it :D I hope ya'll are enjoying yourselves this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm dying to see Thor and Hobbit 2. Funny how Christmas time makes me want to sit in a theater and watch an epic! I know you'll love Frozen. Whenever I want to watch Tangled again, I cue John, "Rider!" He loves shouting that scene in the beginning when Rider takes off with the crown. Then we get to watch it again. hehe

      Delete
  3. Oh. Frozen! I want to watch this movie but I hadn't the chance yet. I loved Hotel Transylvania but I wasn't so thrilled with The Croods. I'm glad you enjoyed these movies, Robyn.
    As for The Heat, I haven't watched it, but now I want to. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand having issues with The Croods. I had no plans to reserve it at the library, but John told me to. Then he told me we were watching it together. Very bossy 5 year old. Wasn't Hotel Transylvania so fun?! I loved the music and the wolf and sheep in the road. I'm in a big animation mood right now.

      Delete
  4. I loved Frozen! Such a cute movie, and the songs were pretty catchy too. :) I watched it about two weeks ago, and I'm still singing Love is an Open Door with my brother xD (well, I'm singing, and he's muttering the lyrics to get me to go away lol). I haven't watched the Croods and Hotel Transylvania, but it's definitely on my to be watched list:) Have a great Christmas!:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had any kind of musical memory I'd be singing the songs from the movie too. Lucky for my boys, it takes a long time before I can sing the refrain (badly) without the music to back me up. I think it's funny your brother mutters the lyrics to get you to go away! I love it. When you do get a chance to see The Croods and Hotel Transylvania I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by! Merry Christmas to you too.

      Delete