Thursday, December 5, 2013

Think Out Loud [34] Has this ever happened to you?

This week I made a quick trip to Costco. Quick meaning no samples, no wandering...if I can't find it, too bad for me. Ten minutes later, I was waiting in line with my cart. I heard birds singing. Happy birds in December? I looked up, nothing. Then more birds chirping merrily and me determined to catch sight of flapping wings. Nothing, dang it! The man in front of me moved forward. I followed suit with most of my attention skyward, but I caught his dofi smile (uh, dofi means missing tooth in Chamorro). I was just about to call him on getting me good because I had never heard anyone whistle like that before, but he broke out in song. My mouth dropped because we're talking a serious rendition of some unknown to me sweaty love song. He got into it with his hips and dramatic expressions. And once in a while he smiled. 

I finally shook off the surprise of someone going all Glee high school musical on me. I felt the words on the tip of my tongue, "You're our very own Cinderella" (wrapped in the body of a forty-something slightly chubby man). I would have called him a girl cartoon. I'm sure of it because I'm like that, but then the checker started singing! True to form, I gaped at him. I looked around to see if this singing thing was catching. The guy who always asks you if you want a box joined in, grinning ear to ear. By the time I was at the counter all I could manage was, "Wow." 

I ended up behind Mr. Cinderella. Not one person looked up for birds as he whistled his way to the exit. I saw two bouquets of roses in his cart. So maybe there was at least one happy bird in December.

12 comments:

  1. Has this ever happened to me? Nothing close, haha. That's so much fun though! I'd love to have something like that happen while I'm grocery shopping, It'd really spice up my day! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made my day! I'm always people watching, especially at the grocery store and this was the most fun scenes ever. I still chuckle over it.

      Delete
  2. You describe this so lovely, Robyn that I felt I was there with you. I can almost swear that I hear the whistling.
    I have never experienced something like this.
    Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Athina! I swear that whistling was amazing. Anyone can sound like one bird, right? But this guy made it sound like I was at the zoo! I'm just glad I didn't hug him for making my day. I've been working on not hugging strangers...it's been months since the last time.

      Delete
  3. Awww That was such a sweet, amazing, and funny story. I would have looked around too and maybe backed away from the dude a bit but he must have been feeling lucky that day. Anniversary probably. :)

    At least he put a smile on your face. All's good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I've seen stuff out and about that had me taking a step back for sure. I'll save that for a creepy TOL. Oh yeah, I'll write about the escaped convict who followed me around Blockbuster. But Mr. Cinderella's smile made me smile right when I needed it so he's my Costco singing hero.

      Delete
  4. I can honestly say no, no this has never happened to me. I think I might cry, tears of joy, if something like this happened to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean! People watchers dream of scenes like that. Have you stopped by Think's TOL? She has a video of a flash mob. That would be the greatest to see something like that in real life!

      Delete
  5. LOL This is fantastic!! I'm usually the one breaking out in song wherever I go, and I don't really care if I sing well to the people around me because it makes me happy to enjoy music. I've never heard anyone sound like a legitimate bird though. That's great! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you break out in song! That is so cool. I sing in my car like a total crazy person. It makes me happy except one time my sister made me the most depressing mix CD and I started crying out of nowhere. I haven't listened to it again.

      Delete
  6. Totally surprising! Has never happened to me - I don't know what I would've done except smile and chuckle. :) Sounds like it made your day cheery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really hit the spot for me. And I smile every time I think about it. I should have hugged the guy.

      Delete