Sunday, July 14, 2013

Matinee at the Movies! robgirlbooks' experience watching Despicable Me 2 with her two boys. Goodness!

Do not sit near me at the movies, my only advice if you see me with my two boys partaking in an afternoon animated feature. Even if you have kids of your own and you tell yourself, "Mine can't sit still either," keep your distance, because I would if I could. I will confess this, I have turned into the single mother in all TV sitcoms. The mom on the phone with the kid wrapped around her leg as he barks. The mom rubbing her forehead as her kid pretend shoots people with the 64 oz bottle of apple juice at the grocery store. The mom who thinks she can sit through a movie with two hyper boys with only a contraband plastic baggie of Skittles to settle her nerves. I am her.

So we make it through the loud previews. Eleven year old Will covers his ears and keeps letting the folding seat fold him. Four year old John loves the previews and won't stop talking. I've learned not to tell him to whisper. I have no idea how he can whisper so loud, but he manages it. A Lego preview comes on, enthralling all of us into perfect moviegoers. I think maybe I will survive this experience after all. Will goes back to folding. John chatters away. Then the movie starts along with the music. I had no idea there would be so much music. I sneak a peek at Will to see how he's doing because he has a hard time with music he's never heard before. He's covering his ears. "Mom, I think I will be going home now." That's at the five minute mark. I look at John and he's waving his dang contraband baggie of Goldfish crackers around. I turn back to the screen, might as well enjoy as much of the movie as I can before we're kicked out.

The little yellow minions rock. The boys laugh in delight every scene they're in, especially when they destroy stuff. But then the music follows the scenes and the scary parts are even scarier for the boys because they're not desensitized in the least. At one point, little monster creatures are running around everywhere. "Okay, that's scary," Will says loudly when the theater is absolutely quiet. I'm covering John's eyes and holding Will's hand. I reassure them that the ending will be good because they love good endings. And suddenly we're at the end. I breathe a sigh of relief. We made it, but then the minions start singing. I mean really singing, some boy band song but with a Spanish accent, maybe it was a Spanish song. I have no idea. Will throws his hands back over his ears. John starts bouncing around and talking, all the while the song goes on until I can't take it anymore. I burst out laughing, tears streaming down my face kind of wondrous laughing. I can't stop.

So go see Despicable Me 2. I loved it. Really. The boys both told me to go pick it up at the library. I give it 5 STARS. And it's highly unlikely you'll run into me or the boys, so you might give it 5 STARS too!

14 comments:

  1. Great post, Robyn! :) I'm glad you and the boys enjoyed the Despicable Me 2. The way you talked about the experience makes it more enjoyable. Sure, I'll watch it when it comes out on DVD-I know it's going to take a while, but we don't have a cinema where I live. :(

    I've seen Despicable Me 1. I still have a copy on my computer in the "Movies I'll Never Delete" folder. Generally, I don't delete animations. I love re-watching them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you have a never delete folder. The animated movies I've watched the most are The Incredibles, Kung Fu Panda, Toy Story (1&2), Megamind, The Lorax, and surprisingly Valliant. I just watched Escape from Planet Earth. It's on DVD now. If you haven't seen it, you will love it!

      Delete
    2. I haven't seen The Lorax. I watched Valliant a long time ago. I remember it's about some birds.

      Thanks for the recommendation--I just checked Escape from Planet Earth out on Wikipedia. I'll get it as soon as I can.

      I think Megamind is one of my all time favourite! :)

      Delete
  2. Too funny!! My favorite part was about the contraband baggie of goldfish LOL. Zane and I wanted to see this so bad, but it was sold out the weekend that I had him, and he's been his dad the rest of the summer. I'm so glad that y'all enjoyed it :D Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must miss him like crazy. That sucks about it being sold out. I was sure we'd have to leave before the movie was over because both boys were saying it was time to go home. And that baggie of Goldfish, I was just waiting for a chick with a flashlight to point the way out of the theater. Shan came too but she wasn't squeezed between two bouncing beans with no concept of movie theater voice, which is no voice at all. But I laughed till I cried and there's nothing like those childhood memories of going to the movies.

      Delete
    2. I was also waiting for the chick with the flashlight to come in and kick you all out. Ha-ha :) I did sit by John passing goldfish back and forth. Both boys got scared enough to want to leave but were so relieved by the end of the movie. Going to the movies with you and the boys is always an adventure. Thanks for the invite to go.

      Delete
    3. You're right they were so relieved at the good ending. They kept telling me how it had a good ending. John and you have your cracker sharing tradition. It's cute.

      Delete
  3. LOL Oh my, Robyn! I'm wiping tears while reading this post! ;) I'm glad you all survived and you all liked it!?! My kids are wanting to see it as well. If you and the boys give it 5 stars, I guess we'll make the trek. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a sucker for that crying laugh. I liked this one better than the first, which never happens with animated features. I hope you and your kids enjoy it as much as we did, though John won't stop making little minion sounds. And a kid at the zoo today was making the same sounds. Right on cue, John joined her.

      Delete
  4. You described everything so vividly that I can see you in theatre trying to watch the movie, while your mind is on your boys. Even if your description is so perfect I can't imagine how hard but amazing experience this is.
    I guess those are the moments that a mother keeps deep in her heart and mind. Those stories will make your boys smile when they are older. I know I do when my mother narrates these kind of stories.
    I wish many more crazy but beautiful moments to come.
    Thanks for sharing.

    P.S I haven't seen Despicable ME 2 but I have seen almost every animation. That one is still on my 'to-watch' list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your words are so true. I consider these stories equivalent to photo albums. I imagine being old and very cranky and reading my long ago posts about my boys. I'll probably have the same little smile my grandma always wore when she went down memory lane.

      Kaykay also loves his animated movies! I hear they're making a sequels to Finding Nemo and How to Train Your Dragon. Have you seen the latest Monsters Inc.?

      Delete
    2. That's great, Athina! Which animated movies are your favorites? :)

      Delete
    3. Well I haven't watched the new movies, but I recently watched Wreck-it Ralph and loved it! Brave was also good and I liked a lot Escape from Planet Earth. That was fun. I didn't like the latest Ice Age. It was disappointing. I also loved Hotel Transylvania and Paranorman. As you can see it's older movies. I have to catch up. :)
      But I want to watch The Croods, I hear is really good. :)
      My favorites are Walt Disney though.:)

      Delete
    4. I agree with you on Ice Age 4. I loved Brave. I haven't seen the latest ones, too. I want to watch Hotel Transylvania and The Croods. :) I'll check out Paranorman on wikipedia and see what it's all about. :)

      Delete