Saturday, July 13, 2013

Sidekick Saturday [22] STRANGE!

Sidekick Saturday
Sidekick Saturday is a weekly bookish meme, hosted here by Jaclyn at JC's Book Haven. There are many secondary characters that are as great as the primaries. In some cases, the sidekicks actually steal the show and you like them better than the heroine or hero. Maybe they didn't have enough page time for how great they were. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

• Choose a sidekick *or someone other than the hero or heroine* that you would like to put in the spotlight that fits in this week's type
• Share a picture (if possible) and information about the character
• Give the title and author of a book the character can be found in
• Please don't include too many spoilers when describing why the character is such a great sidekick
• Put your link in the Linky thing and comment

This week's Sidekick challenge is STRANGE! My first thought was Bran from Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson and Alpha & Omega series. Bran looks like a bored All-American teenager when he's really the supreme Alpha werewolf. The men and women under him believe he can read minds. Mercy thinks she's always been a chore to him, but the old dog loves her like she was his own. There was a scene in Moon Called when he was sitting in Mercy's motel room balancing on a dining room chair like no human could. Mercy told him humans wouldn't do that and he set the chair down on the spot. 

“Bran was always a deceptive bastard, gentle and mild right up until he ripped your throat out. He had many other fine qualities as well” Patricia Briggs Cry Wolf

“I don't like lies,' said Bran, and I knew I'd failed to keep the pain of his revelation from my face. 'Not even lies of omission. Hard truths can be dealt with, triumphed over, but lies will destroy your soul.” Patricia Briggs Moon Called

If I were to cast Bran in a movie, I'd choose Josh Hutcherson.
Josh Hutcherson 3
(Debbie Cerda of Slackerwood.com [CC-BY-2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons)

Now for my own sidekicks' picks. My mom chose Trent from Soul Bender. I never quite saw him as strange, but that may be because I know what lies beneath. You will too in the third book. Trent is total eye candy and has a tendency to insult Anna every chance he gets. My sister jumped in with Myrnin from Rachel Caine's Morganville series. I love Myrnin. He's part sociopath, part clumsy genius, part sweet/damaged soul. Then Shannon had that look in her eyes again, the one that says she's about to reach into golden ticket material...Harry Potter. She chose Dobby. Myrnin and Dobby. But Bran could eat both of them so there.

4 comments:

  1. I have to admit that I wouldn't have thought of Bran at all, but he really is a strange, strange guy. They all think he knows everything, but he has to just be so smart from being alive so many years and being observant. I love your mom and sis' picks. They make a lot of sense to me. I haven't figured Trent out yet and I found him rather strange. Myrnin of course is a huge oddball, being all soft-heart and nice one second and tear your heart or RAWR the next. Great choices! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish Briggs would do a novella on Bran, maybe where Leah (I think that's his mate's name) got eaten up by a better wolf and he found a much better mate. I love your "tear your heart or RAWR" comment for Myrnin. I can't wait to see what the Morganville web show does with his character. I hear they got their funding. Let's have a great week, okay! I mean it. I'm hoping for fewer tantrums (by me).

      Delete
  2. Bran is an excellent choice, Robyn! He's a character I've really grown to love. And I suppose one might be a bit odd after having lived for as long as he has and having seen all he's seen...

    I'm gonna side with you on Trent - I don't see him as strange either...but I'm very intrigued at your hint for the 3rd book! How much longer do I have to wait for that?!? LOL

    Myrnin is also a great choice. I can't believe I didn't think of him! ;) You never quite know what he's going to do. I suppose I can agree with Dobby too. BUT you're sooo right...Bran could eat them both! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've grown to love Bran too! Especially after Cry Wolf. I hate to rush genius, but I need another book from Patricia Briggs pronto.

      I know I slipped that tease in there about the third book...hehe. The plan for book 3 is late winter because I'm going to re-release books 1 & 2 with new covers (created by our very own Jaclyn at JC's Book Haven).

      You're right about Myrnin. You never know what he's going to do. Most times you don't even know if he's pretending to be on the wrong side or he's decided to do away with his struggling morals.

      Have a great start to the week, Brandee!

      Delete