Saturday, July 20, 2013

Sidekick Showcase [23] Mentor


Sidekick Showcase, previously known as Sidekick Saturday, is a weekly bookish meme, hosted here by Jaclyn at JC's Book Haven. There are many secondary characters that are as great as the primaries. In some cases, the sidekicks actually steal the show and you like them better than the heroine or hero. Maybe they didn't have enough page time for how great they were. Anyone can play along! I will post my Sidekicks on Saturday, then whichever day during the week that you would like to post yours, you can put your link in on my page. Just do the following:

• Choose a sidekick *or someone other than the hero or heroine* that you would like to put in the spotlight that fit's in the week's topic
• Share a picture (if you can) and information about the character
• Give the title and author of a book the character can be found in
• Please don't include too many spoilers when describing why the character is such a great sidekick
• The day of your post, put your link in below and grab the code for your post so you can see the others that post their's throughout the week as well

Today's sidekick challenge is MENTOR! I love this one just so you know.
My first thought was Zee from the Mercy Thompson series. He's fae, eternally grumpy, supposedly retired, and taught Mercy everything he knows about cars that can be taught. From there my mind went to Asil from Patricia Briggs' Alpha&Omega series. Asil is one of my favorite characters and I really think he should have his own spin off. He helps Anna sort through what it means to be an Omega. He's patient and flirty and has an amazing hot house for his roses. I admit the list for this week's challenge goes on and on, but the moment my mind went to Dimitri from the Vampire Academy series, I was done for. I'm in love with Dimitri and only if I get to be Rose. He's funny, beautiful, loves his westerns, fights to the death to protect those in his charge, fights to the death to protect everyone else too. He has the most amazing family and a patience threshold that soundly put Rose on her butt on a regular basis. I love him! Check out who they chose to play Dimitri in the movie Blood Sisters (2/14), Danila Kozlovsky.


Danila Kozlovsky Odessa
Dimitri: "Why did you come here?"

Rose: "Because you hit me on the head and dragged me here.” 

― Richelle MeadBlood Promise

“The only thing better than imagining Dimitri carrying me in his arms was imagining him shirtless while carrying me in his arms.” 
― Richelle MeadVampire Academy












Okay, I started reading the quotes and forgot all about the post, so I only made it out with those two. My sister hit up Myrnin from The Morganville series. She chose him last week, but I only just remembered. I'll harass her about it later. My mom chose Mr. Lee from my Touched Girl series. Mr. Lee helps Anna sort through a limitation like no other. He'd rather take his students on field trips than stand in front of the chalk board talking out of a text book. He's a neat guy.

There you have it. Who would you pick for Mentor?


(http://oiff.com.ua/en/index.htm [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons)


13 comments:

  1. YES!!! I actually had Dimitri on my list as a choice, and thought about Zee as well. Dimitri is perfect for this. I had to go with Cinna in the end for me though. I think Dimitri is the perfect role model for Rose, and really helps her grow from snotty teen girl to a courageous woman who wishes to put others before herself. He truly made her be a better person. I am so excited for the movie :D Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it so much better! Dimitri was pivotal to Rose's growth. I wouldn't have thought of Cinna. Genius because he believed in her and liked her when everyone else told her she was unlikable.

      I am so excited for Blood Sisters too!

      Delete
  2. Can I just say that I love the fact that it seems like you spent an equally exorbitant amount of time trying to choose a mentor as I did AND I love that you get drawn into the book when trying to choose quotes...just like I do! ;)

    Dimitri was on my list for this week but I had this feeling he might be chosen by someone. ;) Dimitri was so good for Rose in so many ways. But mainly I think he made her WANT to be a better person. He set this high standard that she couldn't help but aspire to. And I love, love, love him too!

    I didn't think of Zee and he's a good one! (I'm terrible and haven't read the Alpha&Omega series so I don't know Asil) Myrnin is an interesting choice and Mr. Lee is awesome!

    Sorry I'm late commenting - I kinda took the day off yesterday. :) Hope your weekend was fabulous and Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Jaclyn say it perfectly! You're so right that Dimitri made her want to be a better person, that's the key to all relationships I think. I cannot believe you haven't read Alpha&Omega. The Cry Wolf companion novella (sold as an ebook) starts it off. You can also find it in the anthology, On the Prowl. One of my top favorites (more romance in the spinoff). After every sidekick I feel like rereading my favorite books!

      Here's to an awesome week, Brandee!

      Delete
  3. I liked all of those characters that you mentioned. You were kind in reminding me about Myrnin. I almost said Dumbledore for Harry Potter. Have a good writing session.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sidekick series! :D I think Gandolf (LotR) would be my ultimate mentor. He was firm and grumpy, but always there when you needed him most. Plus, he could do some amazing fireworks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Gandolf is an awesome pick! I have a special place in my heart for old, grumpy characters. And you're right, he was always there when you needed him most. Thanks for stopping by! Have a great week!

      Delete
  5. Robyn, I'm gonna have to fight you for Dimitri! He is totally awesome, even when he's not completely himself :) Great choice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll be your warm up before you have to fight Rose for him. Good luck with that. hehe

      Delete
  6. Oh, Dimitri!!! I love VA. I love VA so much!!!
    Excellent choice, Robyn. Althought I have to admit that Adrian would be a perfect choice too, right? With his 'bad guy' attitude and his drinking, Adrian was in a way a different kind of mentor. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You're right. Adrian was a whole different kind of mentor. And he worked with Lissa on Spirit and then in Bloodlines he...Have you read Bloodlines?

      Delete
    2. No, not yet. But I plan to read that series too.
      If you have time...I uploaded the first chapter of Divided on my blog. ;)

      Here is the link. http://between-my-lines.blogspot.fr/2013/07/divided-excerpt.html

      Delete