Saturday, July 6, 2013

Sidekick Saturday [21] Soldier!!

Sidekick Saturday
Sidekick Saturday is a weekly bookish meme, hosted here by Jaclyn at JC's Book Haven. There are many secondary characters that are as great as the primaries. In some cases, the sidekicks actually steal the show and you like them better than the heroine or hero. Maybe they didn't have enough page time for how great they were. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

• Choose a sidekick *or someone other than the hero or heroine* that you would like to put in the spotlight that fits in this week's type
• Share a picture (if possible) and information about the character
• Give the title and author of a book the character can be found in
• Please don't include too many spoilers when describing why the character is such a great sidekick
• Put your link in the Linky thing and comment
This week's sidekick challenge is SOLDIER. 
My first thought flew to Stefan, Mercy's Scooby-Doo loving vampire in Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson Series. Then I went to Goodreads to find a quote and Adam quotes fired off at me until I remembered he was a soldier too! But still, Stefan owns this title for me, especially since I have a feeling his mellow, almost stoner Scooby Doo vibe is all but gone for the time being. His Mistress did a number on him and he's still pissed. A pissed off vamp in Mercy's world is a violent one. A finger licking, throat ripping out mean guy, and then add that he spent however long with the title Soldier. Dang.

So like always, I posed this question to my mom and sister. If I forget, they prompt me. My mom gave me a look like I just hit her with a book. These themes kill her, but she always has my books to fall back on. She chose Lance from The Touched Girl series. In my world of vamps there are two types, sires and soldiers. Sires are all drama and arrogance. They are the only ones who can make another vampire. They drink slower and have more magic. Soldiers are all brute force. They can drain a body in seconds and have no desire (or will) to slow it down. But metrosexual, brooding, hot Lance loves drama. He loves to put on a show for his victims. He's the only one in his family who wishes all the myths about their kind were true. Invite him into your home and win a breathtaking smile.


"You should see how long it takes Lance to get ready. First he has to lay out his clothes. Then he has do whatever he has to do in the mirror for twenty minutes, then there is the shower. After that I'm ready to drain the vamp. Meanwhile, it takes him another forty-five minutes to complete the job."
"I do not just splash water on myself and call it a shower, nor do I blindly grab clothes out of the nearest closet and throw them on. I have certain routines, my loafing friend." (Jared and Lance, Soul Walker)

"I believe you will be grounded, whipped with a belt, and certainly your grandmother will wash your mouth out with soap. You might have to start attending mass every Sunday." Jared laughed until he cried. "What?" (Lance, Soul Walker)

Shannon brilliantly chose Dimitri from Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter Series. I turned her on to the series, but she hasn't reached the domineering vampire's book yet, Archangel's Blade (book 4). Oh, it's good. If you haven't tried this series, but love hot and bothered urban fantasy with a splash of gore, this is for you. I love it! And Dimitri is such a shit. He's terrible to Elena and he's the most loyal soldier ever. With light still glimmering in Shannon's eyes she jumped to Charles from Patricia Briggs' Alpha Omega series. Come on. Those are both awesome top of the line picks. She wins the day for sure! I love Charles, not as much as Adam, but pretty damn close.

How about you? Who would you cast for Soldier?






8 comments:

  1. I love all the picks! I didn't even think of Stefan (or Adam!) for the soldier role, but that's his TITLE. Wow, great choice there. I love him :D Your mom's pick with Lance too was ingenious - the quotes you shared are so wonderful. I have Shannon's pick on my to-read list. I haven't read that series yet, though it does sound like an excellent series for me. Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jaclyn! I especially love the first 4 Guild Hunter books. They're gritty for sure with blood talk left and right and I think you will love the whole angel/vamp/hunter world. Every post only expands all our TBR shelves. It's wonderful!

      I didn't think I'd be the only one choosing Stefan and Shan pulled out the big guns going for Charles. I crush over that man in a terrible way. Oh and my mom totally got me with my own work choosing Lance. I looked at her in confusion for a second before I slapped the "I'm stupid" look on my face. Of course, soldier vamps. I'm glad other people are finally playing along. I love this meme!

      Delete
  2. Oh, Stefan, I don't know why I didn't think of him. But for me Adam is almost a main character after the first few books... even if technically he isn't :)

    Dimitri from the Guild Hunter books is an awesome choice. I love that series. But I think everything Nalini Singh writes is golden :)

    I actually also thought of Jamie in the Outlander series, but he's kind of the 2nd main character, so I didn't pick him anyway. I had a hard time coming up with a character I enjoyed, though, but as always, it was a lot of fun.

    I hope you're having an awesome weekend.

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the Outlander series, but I love Singh too! I'm catching up on Tangle of Need right now so I'm ready for the latest release.

      I will most likely cast Adam multiple times since I love him! I love Sidekick Saturday too! It's fun giving attention to the supporting cast.

      Have a great week, Lexxie!

      Delete
  3. LOL GMTA as my kids would say, Robyn. Stefan was on my list for this week! Adam didn't cross my mind, though. Hmm... I'd also thought of Inman from Cold Mountain (apparently I had historicals in my head) and Eddie Castille from Vampire Academy/Bloodlines. So many soldiers out there! I love your mom's choice of Lance. He made me giggle. And Shannon's picks are great too. LOVE Dimitri and Charles. (and I've yet to read Archangel's Blade)

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend, Robyn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't read Cold Mountain, but I watched the movie (I know, I'm terrible). Inman, goodness. That would be a good pick too. I didn't even think of Eddie and I love him, though Mead needs to get busy and give us more of him.

      Archangel's Blade is so hot. Not fluffy at all. I was so surprised by my mom's pick. I think she's ready for me to hit the Anna books again because we get Lance in book 3.

      Have a great week, Brandee!!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Now, now, I might take your title away for poor sportsmanship.

      Delete