Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Think Out Loud [15] Standing Up For What's Right

I used to stay for the first forty-five minutes or so of class when my oldest son was in first grade. He had a hard time staying in his chair while the teacher dealt with those first few tasks of the day, so I read books with him until I saw an opening to slip out. In those days, Will came home smelling like perfume because everyone from the principal to the lunch lady hugged him, he was that cute. He had only been talking for about a year and a half and his autism was still a mighty obstacle, but each day he was more and more aware of the world around him. 

After school one day, his wonderful para-educator (special needs aide) told me about my brave boy. His teacher had lost perspective in a fit of frustration and yelled at one of the students. She was already a yeller, just one of those women who project like hell. Will was sitting across from the kid who was in trouble. "Mrs. V, you leave him alone! Being mean is not okay." The teacher stepped back in shock. Will was red-faced and standing with his arm raised and his finger pointing. With his mission accomplished, Will sat back down in his seat as if he hadn't just shamed a grown up into thinking about her actions. I tell my kids we all have moments of behaving badly and grand moments of acting heroic, and for John, the 4 yr old, I add, "And we all fart too." He falls back on the bed in full belly laughs every time. He's so easy.

Think Out Loud is a meme with no rules, a safe little place in the middle of your blogging world where you can let go about anything on your mind, a picture that delighted you, a poem, song, gripe that won't die until you vent it into cyberspace. Come and join us 'cause we're cool.


12 comments:

  1. That's awesome Robyn, that Will was able to get his teacher to see that the way she was treating the children was NOT OK! I am always proud of my kids when they are able to stand up for what they believe in.

    I can almost hear John's belly-laugh :D

    Have a beautiful day Robyn!

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John has a husky belly laugh that makes everyone around him laugh too. The teacher talked to me about Will's act of bravery too, which I thought was really cool of her to admit she had lost perspective.

      Happy reading, Lexxie! It's cold and dreary over here in the Pacific Northwest...perfect for the great line up of books I just picked up from the library!

      Delete
    2. Those laughs are the best sounds in the world! Nothing can beat the sound of a happy child :)

      I hope you've put Splintered on hold ;) it was truly awesome, Robyn.

      Delete
    3. Ha! I just checked the library. They have Splintered.

      You are so right, there is nothing like the sound of their laughter. I love it when they sing and dance too. If Will catches me watching he stops, so I have to be all sneaky, but it's the best show in the world.

      Delete
  2. You're right, Robyn. Every adult loses it at some point. I know I have with my children and I always apologize for my misbehavior. It was very brave of Will to call his teacher out on hers. And I'd be willing to bet it's something that has stuck with her.

    I don't know of any incidents when my children have stuck up for what's right involving adults...but I do know they've let other kids know it's wrong to treat people badly - like bullying, etc. As their mom, it makes me very proud. :) And I KNOW you are proud of Will...and you're little belly laugher too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Standing up to kids is a-whole-nother ball game. That is wonderful! It's hard to go against your peers. One day while I was driving home from school, John talked about the new kid in class. "He's mean and he hit me." Will's head snapped to attention. "I can go to your school for you, John. How about them apples." It was so sweet and funny. I could see John's spirit light up from the rear view mirror.

    They make me so proud...and crazy! I apologize every time I mess up. If I'm really cranky, John gets his Hulk toy and gives it to me (because I'm just like the Hulk).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww. Your little boy sounds amazing!! Great post Robyn. Thanks for hanging in Think Out Loud with me! I wish more people wanted to be cool like us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed at that. We both mentioned our coolness this week. I always look forward to the TOL meme. One day I'll post just a picture (if I'm capable of leaving it at that).

      Delete
  5. I think I'm going to do a Think Out Loud one day about Taylor Swift. I don't have enough time to do any of these regularly, but I think that would be fun. I love your boys. Congrats to him for standing up to her! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally do not have time! But I look forward to your Taylor Swift idea. I just saw that her Red album is ready for me to pick up at the library. hehe.

      Delete
  6. Haha! This really made my day, Robyn. I could visualise the whole scene, especially the shock on the teacher's face. :)

    I haven't met Will. I only come across his pictures on your blog, as well as read about him. But I've come to this conclusion: He is an awesome kid. :)

    Thanks for sharing another of his brave deeds! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kaykay! Will and John are night and day from each other with the exception of their protectiveness. I treasure that. In the car one day on the way to get John's medicine for his ear, John asked me where we were going. "To the store to get your medicine." "Which place yelled at you, Fred Meyers or Target?" "The guy at Fred Meyer's didn't yell at me. He just hurt my feelings." "Then Target it is." I couldn't believe the hard tone in his four year old voice. They're neato kids for sure.

      Happy reading, Kaykay! You're probably diving into a murder mystery as I type this.

      Delete